To conduct thorough research, you will need to synthesize information from a number of sources. The following pages will assist you in planning and executing your research strategy.
- General Resources
- Iowa Resources
- Advising/Representing Clients
- Age and Employment Discrimination
- Elder Abuse
- Estate Planning
- Guardianships and Conservatorships
- Journals and Newsletters
- Living Wills, Advance Medical Directives, and Living Trusts
- Long Term Care and Health Care
- Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid
- Tax and Retirement Planning
Elder Law, in many respects, is an umbrella term that encompasses many different practice areas. Relevant practice areas include: estate, tax, retirement and financial planning, guardianships and conservatorships, living wills and trusts, advance medical directives, long-term care and health care, Medicare/Medicaid and other government benefits, and elder abuse and exploitation issues. This guide is intended to assist researchers in locating primary and secondary materials relating to elder law in the University of Iowa Law Library's collections.
- When researching elder law issues, look both for resources specifically focused on the elderly and for resources devoted to specific practice areas.
- On Westlaw and Lexis, use the topical practice area folders to locate relevant resources. Both services have a folder specifically for Elder Law but you should also check folders for related practice areas.
- For each resource you search, try multiple searches with different phrases to catch variations in terms.
- Search indexes such as the library catalogs (books) and the Index to Legal Periodicals and LegalTrac (legal articles) using controlled vocabulary subject terms. Searching with established subject headings helps insure that you do not miss relevant articles simply because you didn’t use the “right” term in your search. Potentially useful Subject Headings include:
Older people Trusts and Trustees
Aged Guardian and Ward
Abused elderly Capacity and Disability
Elder Abuse Medical Care
Old Age Assistance Advance Directives (Medical Care)
Social Security Living Trusts
Medicare Power of Attorney
Medicaid Right to Die
Nursing Homes Legal Assistance to Older People
Tax Planning Long-term Care Facilities
Estate Planning Retirement Planning
- Searching Google Scholar can help you identify medical, psychology, and social science-focused articles and can link you to full-text access through University of Iowa-licensed resources. While Google Scholar provides some access to legal resources, the Index to Legal Periodicals and LegalTrac provide better access to law-related journal articles.
Send Email (UI faculty, staff, students only)
319-335-9015 or 319-335-9002
Resource Symbol Key
|University of Iowa access|
|University of Iowa College of Law access|
|Password required; see a Reference Librarian|
|CD-ROM resource; see a Reference Librarian|
|Available in Print|
|Available on Microform|
|Bloomberg Law-Password Required|