Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Hours / Purpose
Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:30 am - 12:30 pm and 1:00 - 6:00 pm. Click here for any changes to Special Services hours.
The Special Services room (Room 130) on Level 1 houses approximately one quarter of the library’s collections in non-print formats, including microfiche, microfilm, CD-ROM and DVD. One full-time staff member handles the operation of Special Services, including the filing of new sets of microfilm and microfiche.
Materials & Equipment for use in Special Services Only
- Microfiche, microfilm, videotapes, DVDs and audio tapes
- Video playback machines for DVD and VHS
- Reader/printers for both microfiche and microfilm (various magnifications)
- Fax machine
- CD-ROM workstation with DVD capability
Materials available for checkout from Special Services
- Portable microfiche readers, audio cassette players and audiotapes may be checked out by students and staff with proper identification.
- Legal training DVDs and videotapes may be checked out only to law faculty for classroom use.
- Legal fiction DVDs may be checked out by UI community users; the loan period is seven days and a maximum of three may be borrowed at a time.
Charges for Products made in Special Services
- $.08 per page for a word-processed document
- $.10 per page to make a paper copy from a microform, or printout from a website
- $.50 per page to send a domestic fax,
- $1.00 per page to send an international fax
- No charge to receive a fax
- Payment may be made by cash or a check made out to the University of Iowa Law Library