Skip to Main Content

Law Library

Faculty RA Library Guide: Borrowing Library Materials

Borrowing Library Materials for Your Professor

The RA Proxy Card

This card is essential for borrowing books in your professor’s name, both from the Law Library and from other campus libraries. Get your card as soon as possible so you will have it when you need it. All you need to do to get a proxy card is have your faculty employer email to let our Circulation Team know that the faculty member approves the RA Proxy Card request.

Your new RA proxy card will be placed in your mail folder in approximately one day.

Frequently Asked Questions:

What if I left my RA proxy card at home? You can check out Law Library materials in the professor’s name without your RA proxy card. Law Library Circulation Staff may ask to see an ID. Main Library and the branch libraries will not allow you to check out materials for your faculty employer without the RA proxy card. Do not check out materials for faculty with your student ID card, because you are personally responsible for those items.

What if I lose my RA proxy card? Report the loss to the Law Library Circulation Desk ASAP. A reported lost card’s code number is immediately disabled, so you must get and use a replacement card.

Who is responsible for library materials after they are checked out? The faculty member is ultimately responsible for materials checked out in his/her name, including returning or renewing books by the due date, so please deliver them to the faculty member as soon as possible. Materials must be kept in the faculty office, rather than your carrel, so that Law Library Circulation Staff can retrieve them if necessary.

Can I have books from another University of Iowa library brought to the Law Library for my professor? Yes. Submit the request at the Law Library Circulation Desk for books and other materials from other University of Iowa libraries. Delivery takes several days. It may be faster for you yourself to get the item, using your faculty proxy card. Note: Other University of Iowa libraries have their own rules about loan periods and what may circulate.

How can I get a book for my professor that is already checked out? If you need to recall a book that is already checked out, please visit the Law Library Circulation Desk for assistance.

Can I get books or photocopies through interlibrary loan (ILL) for my professor? Yes. You may request books, microfilm or microfiche, and photocopies of journal articles or brief portions of books from libraries outside the University. Lending policies vary.  Please check InfoHawk+ first to make sure the item is not in the University of Iowa Library System. To place an ILL request email Eric Earhart at and provide as much information as possible, such as the title of the article and journal or book, author, volume, pages, date. ILL delivery may take as long as three weeks. The ILL is routed to the professor unless you note otherwise in your request.